Thursday, June 6, 2019

#7 Oacoma, SD to Fairmont, MN


#7  Oacoma, SD to Fairmont, MN
















Traveling today was more of the same:  standing water, fields of old corn stalks, a few of hay fields, cattle grazing, bright green grass covered hills, and more silos and farm houses shrouded by trees.

Lots more road construction with traffic being funneled to the east or west bound highway to share with the oncoming traffic.

  Lots and Lots of BUGS!!  Bugs continue to fill the air.  The James river looks swollen beyond the multitude of bugs on the window.
Even inside, I showered with a gang of gnats and one green bug , none of whom survived the meeting.

The roads in South Dakota were well paved and easy driving.  As soon as we crossed the Minnesota state line the roads deteriorated into a very rough ride.





















Minnesota farms cover miles and miles of land.  The soil is rich and dark.


When we crossed the Minnesota border I received a call from the orthopedic office saying I could come early this morning because of cancellations.  I thanked her, but said we were just crossing the border. I did call as soon as we got in about 12:30 and they said come in. The Fairmont, MN city sign shows a population of about 10,666 people.  This little town has 18 orthopedic doctors.  It has two major clinics, one of which is Mayo.  I researched the doctors on Google and chose Dr. Corey Welchlin at the Center for Specialty Care.  I was very impressed talking to the receptionist. She made me feel like I made a good choice.  The nurse Linda was a hoot. She wanted to join us, as so many people have said before.
Doctor Welchlin said my x-rays show no knee damage.  I may have a cartilage problem, but needs an MRI.  He said the pain was from a cluster of nerves being squeezed by calcification. Both he and my hip doctor also said the pain could be from my back.  This is why I decided to see a chiropractor here in this medically savvy community on our second day here.  Dr. Welchlin gave me a cortisone injection into my knee, and we on our way. I had no severe pain.  Everyone was amazed we were from Washington, and wondered why we were in Fairmont.  While talking with Dr. Welchlin he asked about where we were from in Washington. He said he had lived in Seattle.  Not only that!  It turns out he interned at Harborview in Seattle under Dr. Hansen, the god of orthopedics, who did my ankle fusion.  That statement let us know he was and outstanding doctor if he worked with Dr. Hansen. Small world!  He asked lots of question about why I chose to come to him. Then he asked his son who runs marketing to visit with us.  We took a photo with Derrille, the doctor and me that may show up on Facebook.  It was quite a day!













The owner of our Flying Goose RV Park not only gets annual fees from RVers that keep their rigs here year round, on a lake, but also farms corn.  He said the weather has been so bad that he has only about 30% of the crop. Some fields are too wet. Unfortunately because of the fall frost date, farmers cannot plant the rest of the crop and hope to harvest it.  He could plant a different crop; however he only carries insurance for corn. 















Fairmont rates as typical small town America.  We found the people very friendly.
The downtown streets feature angled parking.











                  An old church graced a corner of the street.













The Martin County Courthouse stood in simple grandeur.  Down a ways we found the Red Rock Center for the Arts.

Both Dr. Welchlin and my hip doctor suggested the pain could come from my back. So on day two in Fairmont I experienced another great doctor.  Dr. Buris fixed my back and helped my leg.  I believe I will now be able to walk on the rest of the trip with ice and exercise. The office had some interesting technology to help him see what I needed.  He even used an interesting technique I found effective but very different.  It was a lovely office with another awesome staff.



This stop had an extra day for rest and laundry. 

So far the plan to drive, drive, drive and rest seems to be working.

Tomorrow we head for Wisconsin.


 PS:  I don't know why some of the print went gray. Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment